Matt's blog

The story of me, an American in Edinburgh, Scotland finding my place as a musician, a husband, a father and a Christian.


So much to say, so much to say, etc.

I've been reading again lately, which is a good thing I guess. Every now and then I read a bunch of books followed by long stretches when I'm too busy doing the other stuff life requires and don't get a chance to read at all. Reading always makes me want to say something profound and important, but don't worry, I won't do it here. I've had some really crazy and unique experiences in my life, and I just feel like if I could figure out the right way to tell people about them I might be able to make a real positive difference in someone else's outlook on life. Or at least I'd be able to distract them from their own life for a while. But I really don't know how to do that. I would love to be an artist or a writer. I feel like these mediums, especially literature, has a power to affect people in a very specific and pointed way. But alas, I have yet to plunge myself into either of these creative outlets, probably for fear of the almost certainly mediocre results I would have. I figure it's a good thing I'm a musician. For however frustrated I feel about being unable to express the finer details of what I'm thinking and feeling, music allows me to paint an emotional picture with a much broader brush. Some people are adamant in saying that music can accurately express any emotion or situation, but I don't think that's true. I think the great thing about music is it's ambiguity. One piece of music could convey a plethora of meanings. With that in mind, music will be a good general outlet for now. Someday I'll get down to the nitty-gritty.

Stay tuned to the Thrill Ride channel for upcoming book reviews, I've been reading some great stuff. By the way, the winner of the FREE PRIZE in the Thrill Ride Roll Call is...(drum roll):

7!

7 can claim the FREE PRIZE once I figure out what it is.

0 Responses to “”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Matt's blog | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.