Matt's blog

The story of me, an American in Edinburgh, Scotland finding my place as a musician, a husband, a father and a Christian.


Clarification

When I say "gender equality" I don't mean the idea that except for our fleshy shells men and women are identical. What I mean instead is that you cannot peg one gender as superior to the other. Men and women are different as a whole, but to a much greater extent individual men and women are different from each other. By ditching the idea that one gender is superior to the other, both as a whole and in specific qualities, the playing field is leveled for individuals to excel at what they are gifted at.

On a related note, I believe that many of the traits traditionally labeled "feminine" and therefore inferior, are actually not inferior but are usually needed to counterbalance the "masculine" traits which often become so prevalent in authoritative positions. This is why I am very supportive of having female leaders in the church. (I am also supportive of female leaders in politics, academics, business, etc., but the church is what impacts my life most right now.) A diverse group of leaders will be more representative of those being led and will therefore be better equipped to represent and relate to those people. Anyway, that's just a little bit of my personal soap-box.

Oh yeah, and great sex comes out of a belief in gender equality, a belief in gender quality does not result from great sex. (Well, who am I to say that, really. It's outside of my realm of experience, so sometimes it may indeed happen that way.)

2 Responses to “Clarification”

  1. # Blogger Unknown

    ah yes...  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    this has nothing to do with your post....

    you like Kendall Payne? I thought I was the only one who had ever heard of her...I guess I was wrong..but to the point..awesome..and have you heard her new cd "Grown"? It blows "Jordan's Sister" out of the water..hands down.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Matt's blog | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.