Matt's blog

The story of me, an American in Edinburgh, Scotland finding my place as a musician, a husband, a father and a Christian.


The Nose Knows

A very old smell just came over me. I've heard that smell memory is the most vivid and long lasting memory that humans have. This was a very old smell. I couldn't identify it, and as I smelled it I couldn't attach any specific memory to it. I just remembered being very young. I think I was in early elementary school. I felt the distinct feeling of a time of my life that has long since passed, but even that feeling I can't quantify. It always makes me feel good to know that somewhere within me are all the aspects of my past: emotions, smells, sounds, experiences-even if I am not always aware of them. Not all baggage is bad. When I walk into my dorm room and am somehow reminded of a feeling I haven't felt since I was a decade and a half younger, I feel closer to myself. I remember that even way back then I was still me, and I know that the experiences I am having today will not be completely lost tomorrow. While we're on the subject I'll share my favorite smell that I do remember and do have a memory attached to.

My favorite smell: The distinct scent of wet asphalt under a hot summer sun. It reminds me of water fights and summer camp when I was a kid.

If you feel like it, tell me about your favorite smell and the memories it brings up in my comment box.

0 Responses to “”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Matt's blog | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.