Matt's blog

The story of me, an American in Edinburgh, Scotland finding my place as a musician, a husband, a father and a Christian.


Big Fish and more!!!

Sorry about not having a post for a while. I'll need to do better than this if I expect to get off of my brother's never updated list. So, here's the post:

I've never cried in a movie before. Being a very emotionally sensitive guy, I have seriously welled up in almost every movie I've ever seen, but I've never let myself to get to the point of actually crying. Well, this changed a few nights ago when Jeni and I went and saw the movie Big Fish. I'd missed it when it first opened in theatres, so I was glad to get the chance to catch it on the big screen. It turned out to be a fantastic movie, and after only one viewing I'd say it's in the running for my favorite movie ever. For those of you who haven't seen the movie (you should) it centers around a dying father and his son. Those of you hip to the current happenings of my life can probably see why it was easier for me to cry in this movie than in others. (For those of you who have seen the movie-don't worry, I won't give anything away to those who haven't-I cried during the scene when they went down to the river, but I must say I doubt that there were many dry eyes in the theatre at that point.) It has been nearly a year now since my father died, and all the emotions connected to that event are evolving taking on new flavors with age. I imagine that this is a much better emotional response than the response I had to my mother's death, which consisted of little or no emotions at all. Death is a hard thing. That's really all I have to say about it at this point, maybe I'll have more in future posts.

On a lighter note:

Love Your Squid: I titally forgot about that earlier
horsejeni: sorry, so did i
Love Your Squid: totally, rather.
horsejeni: titally? huh?
Love Your Squid: I guess that might have been a Freudian typo
horsejeni: perhaps

Yeah, well...

One of the reasons you haven't gotten a post from me in a while is because I've been playing lots and lots and lots of guitar! I'm kicking around the idea of doing a short concert this summer, maybe at the church. Coming up on my plate before that, however, is Musicfest Northwest in May. This is a big musical competition that is held up here in Spokane every year. A lot of Whitworth college students participate in the festival and I will be one of them this year. The two competition pieces I'm playing are Prelude No. 1 by Heitor Villa-Lobos-a 20th century Brazilian piece- and a Fantasie by Francesco da Milano-a 16th century Italian lute piece. Along with these pieces I am going to present up to 20 minutes of music of my own choosing, which I have yet to choose. Wish me luck, and I'll let you know about the unfolding as it unfolds!

Hope you enjoyed the post. I'll try to get back to the ol' blog a little sooner next time.

By the way:
titally=tidally
Heitor=Heater
Lobos=Lobes
blog=bloc

0 Responses to “”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Matt's blog | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.