Matt's blog

The story of me, an American in Edinburgh, Scotland finding my place as a musician, a husband, a father and a Christian.


The Tip of the Iceberg

"We must see that it is foolish, sinful, and suicidal to destroy the health of nature for the sake of an economy that is really not an economy at all but merely a financial system, one that is unnatural, undemocratic, sacrilegious, and ephemeral." -Wendell Berry, Sex, Economy, Freedom & Community

In addition to the Oxford commas, there's a lot for me to like in this quotation. It links environmentalism, politics, economics, and religion together in one dynamic system, or at least encourages that they should be viewed as such. I'm sure this thought is just the tip of the iceberg for me as I move further into a part of my life where I am thinking more pointedly about what it means to be an Christian, a husband and an American, and soon a father as well, and hopefully soon after that a leader in the church. I'm thankful that I have friends like Rob here in Edinburgh, like AJ my brother back home, and like my wife Jeni who all are thinking through different aspects of these things along with me. Like I said, this is just the tip of the iceberg, an iceberg composed (not entirely, but at least recently) of electric bicycles, of humanely treated laying hens, and of communities built on worship and prayer. In the coming weeks, months, and years I'll see just how deep this iceberg goes, and I hope I find it is massive.

2 Responses to “The Tip of the Iceberg”

  1. # Blogger Jenevieve

    Hear, hear! I'm glad helping me study for this exam has brought some things up for you to think about- I know it has for me.

    It's also brought me closer to wanting to live in a hippie commune, but only a very little bit closer.  

  2. # Blogger Matt

    Well, I'll expand a little bit on the iceberg with a thought that didn't make it into the post but I think is pertinent. I haven't been gripped by the desire to live in a totally isolated insulated commune, but I do like the idea of being able to go partially off the grid, being able through my own efforts to become slightly less than 100% dependent on giant faceless corporations to provide the resources I need to survive. I'm talking about things like generating some of my own power througn solar panels or some other means, like devoting a corner of my backyard to a handful of laying hens, or like buying food directly from farmers at farmers markets or from co-ops. Just being a little crunchy, not being a full on hippie.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Matt's blog | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.